Conference 2017 Roundup
This May, 137 delegates from BC to New Brunswick gathered at the stunning Delta Ocean Pointe Resort in Victoria, BC for the 2017 National Conference Leading for Transformation: Advancing the Volunteer Management Profession, hosted by the Administrators of Volunteer Resources BC (AVRBC).
Here are some of the highlights of each day…
Pre-conference: May 10th
- Keynote, program showcase and tour at the health care-specific networking event at Royal Jubilee hospital
- Share and tell session, hot topic discussions and behind-the-scenes tours at the museum sector day at the Royal BC Museum
- Casual happy hour welcome reception hosted by VMPC at the Lure lounge
Day 1: May 11th
- Travelling icebreaker that had us dancing across the room to Happy and getting to know who was in the room, where they journeyed from, and what they had in common
- Introduction of the origami butterfly activity and our transformation wall
- Humorous and engaging keynote by coach Christina Sestan about how to transform our leadership by becoming more aware of how we are showing up each day
- AVRBC’s 50th AGM anniversary celebration, featuring a number of their Past Presidents
- Afternoon workshops designed to inspire transformation and innovation in our programs
- An evening gala reception at the CPO Mess at the Esquimalt military base featuring decadent west coast food stations, a photo booth and space to get creative by working on a giant puzzle or decompress with some adult colouring sheets
Day 2: May 12th
- VMPC’s Annual General Meeting and the announcement of two exciting professional development opportunities – an online conference and an in-person one
- Members of the Volunteer Professionals of Nova Scotia joined us via live streaming
- Change management specialist Melissa Ketler shared her best strategies for getting volunteers on board with change in your organizations
- Wonder Woman (a.k.a. Conference Chair, Charlene Dishaw) made a rare appearance to host the hot topics panel featuring...the wisdom of everyone in the audience! (Check out the discussions captured by our visual recorder, Tara Shanks)
- After more timely and relevant workshops, we wrapped up with a closing activity that had the room full of snowballs
There is no doubt that the incredible conference committee brought the WOW to this conference and we cannot thank them enough for their hard work! We hope you all left feeling transformed and ready to initiate change in your programs.
We look forward to seeing you all again for another exciting educational conference in 2018.